Ever wonder why when you drink a Coke it is followed by a smile? Maybe It is because it literally gets you high. They stopped putting cocaine in Coke almost a hundred years ago. Do you know why? They didn’t need it as it was redundant.
Let’s take a look at the timetable and affects Coke will give after you drink it:
- Within The First 10 minutes: 10 teaspoons of sugar will hit your system. (This is 100% of your recommended daily intake by the way.) You won’t immediately vomit from the overwhelming amount of sugar and sweetness because of the phosphoric acid that they add to cut the flavor down allowing you to “keep it down”.
- 20 minutes: Your blood sugar will spike, causing an extreme insulin burst. Your liver will respond by turning any and all sugar it can get into fat. (There will be plenty of sugar in the system at this very moment)
- 40 minutes: The absorption of Caffeine will have completed. Your pupils will begin to dilate and your blood pressure will rise, because of this, your liver will begin to dump even more sugar into your bloodstream. The adenosine receptors in your brain will now be blocked to prevent drowsiness.
- 45 minutes: Your body will up your dopamine production that will stimulate the “pleasure centers” in your brain. This is physical equivalent to the same way heroin works if you were wondering.
- >60 minutes: The phosphoric acid will begin to bind the magnesium, zinc, and calcium in your lower intestine, giving you a continued boost in metabolism. This is compounded by high amounts of sugar and artificial sweeteners which will also increase the excretion of calcium in the urine.
- >60 Minutes: The caffeine’s diuretic properties start to kick in. (This will make you have to urinate.) From here, it is now for sure that you will evacuate the bonded magnesium, zinc, and calcium that would have been headed to your bones for health as well as electrolytes, water, and sodium.
- >60 minutes: As the intense party inside of you starts to die down, you will begin to experience a sugar crash. In this phase, you are likely become more sluggish and/or irritable. You will also now have literally pissed away all the water that was in the Coke. Unfortunately, this all happens before it can be infused with all the nutrients that your body could have used for better health. These nutrients are used for hydrating your system, building strong bones, muscles, and even teeth.
To top it off, it will all be followed by a wonderful caffeine crash within the next couple of hours. (As little as 2 if you are a smoker.) But, there is a bright side, just have another Coke, it will make you feel better 🙂
*FYI: Coke is not the enemy in this case. The real enemy is the insane combo of massive sugar doses combined with phosphoric acid and caffeine. These items are typically found in almost all soda produced today.